"Give me books, French wine, fruit, fine weather and a little music played out of doors by somebody I do not know." John Keats
Digiscraps
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
I've been digital scrapbooking. Don't judge. It's a welcome relief from grad school. Here's a few examples. Notice that they are mostly of me and my love, Jor. I mean, if you can't digiscrap your heart's happiness, then what really?
(photos by Eddie Thornton ) Morning dawned on our little crew and I was awake and hopeful. Lex and I’s early jaunt allowed a brief glimpse of the valley below and the sunrise over the hills. The clouds lifted just enough for a gorgeous view and I was stunned to see how high we were. I looked down onto the tops of fluffy clouds. The rain the night before, and I think many of our crew’s elevation issues, had decided the fate of our summit. Sadly, we were not going to make the second day’s 3-4 hour trek up to the crater, but David mentioned that if anyone wanted to do a cone summit, we would leave in five minutes. I brushed my teeth, grabbed my raincoat and was off. This smaller crew was David and Jeremy, Eddie, Lee, Alicia, Ashley and myself. The going was slow, although not as bad as the day before. This time the elevation was a problem, but so was the incline. No longer 45 degrees, I think we were probably at a 60 degree angle. Many times I thought I would slip, or maybe just fall over...
Margoth’s friend Neti came by this evening during dinner. She and Margoth had been out and she stayed while Robin and I ate dinner and watched the ‘novela (as they call them here). Neti is a character. She is funny and direct and very crude and sort of reminds me of Olympia Dukakis’ character in “Steel Magnolias.” In fact, now that I think of it, there are a lot of Steel Magnolia references going on in this household. For instance, I found out when I first arrived that while Tito, Giovani and Rita are Margoth and the Sir’s children, there are two other men who work in the bakery at night who are his children from another woman. Margoth rarely talks to them, and I’ve noticed that Tito never talks to the Sir. I can’t blame Tito, the man is a sour pus, although Robin insists that he’s gotten better since I showed up. She thinks it has something to do with the extra income. I can’t tell if the Sir doesn’t like Margoth or if they just have money arguments. Margoth cooked breakfast for me an...
(continued from Part 1 - more photos added) Meanwhile, David and Ricardo had been preparing lunch. There was a small thatched hut on our campsite, and I arrived just in time to fix myself a hoagie, Guatemala style. Deli ham, cheese, lots of tomatoes and onions and peppers, guacamole, frijoles and hot sauce. We ate standing up because the ground was covered in mud and wet grass. As we ate, the skies started to open more and the soft drizzle turned into an actual rain. Suddenly everyone was assembling their tents. Lexie and I were terrible tent assemblers, and David and Ricardo ended up doing it for us. It almost didn’t matter who put up the tents though, since they were so old and leaky nearly everyone had some problems with water. So, tents up, food eaten, mountain almost summitted, now, what to do. Our group of volcano climbers was not the only group to try the Acatenango summit that day. We had already been passed by the group of children and their blankets, and soon after we all rea...
Aw!!!
ReplyDelete